Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

luckoirish27
Returning Member

PA Schedule D ownership changes numbers

Married, filing jointly- My husband and I both had investment sales this year in different, individual accounts.  Turbotax combined the LT/ST sales to come up with a total, but there's no way to divide out which was mine vs. his. I marked them as being owned by both of us since there was no way to mark which belonged to me vs. my husband.  Where they were individual, I marked them with the correct owner.  TT created 2 Schedule D's- 1 for each of us- then divided the joint number in half, which isn't accurate because one person's accounts had most of the activity.  I noticed one of the other sales was assigned to the wrong person so I went in and changed it and my refund changed.  The only numbers that changed were based on moving that loss from one owner to the other.  Based on this, it seems my return would change if I was able to accurately split the LT/ST gains to the correct owners.  Is there a way to bypass the combining?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

PA Schedule D ownership changes numbers

No. You chose married filing separately for PA- this is what causes the numbers to be moving. A filing status of M instead of J for joint. Most things can be separated by owner. The desktop program allows you to look at the forms and see how each form is marked. The PA program for Sch D states: From the Pennsylvania Schedule of Gains/Losses, those gains designated with a "T" or blank plus 1/2 of those designated with a "J".

So designated items carry to the owner while non-designated items are simply divided in half between the spouses.

You need to mark taxpayer and spouse throughout the program where possible. You may also want to try MFJ and see what happens.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies