Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Own two homes in different states

I own a house in WV, my state of residence. I also own a house in MD which is where I am currently stationed (military) and currently reside. In the past I've not filed MD taxes and have no income to declare for MD but wanted to check how I should file. Just include both in my FED return? The WV house is currently rented and I know I need to do the rental property sheet - have for the past few years. This is the first year that I have owned this house in MD. Again, I still claim WV as state of residence and have no income to claim for MD. I'm thinking I just include both 1098 on my FED and file WV state tax only.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Yes. You are correct. Since you are stationed in MD but your home of record is WV, then you will only have to file a WV resident state income tax return.  You will be able to claim and mortgage interest, mortgage insurance and property taxes for your primary home (in MD) as itemized deductions on your federal and WV state income tax returns. For your rental property 1098, include that on your Schedule E.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

Yes. You are correct. Since you are stationed in MD but your home of record is WV, then you will only have to file a WV resident state income tax return.  You will be able to claim and mortgage interest, mortgage insurance and property taxes for your primary home (in MD) as itemized deductions on your federal and WV state income tax returns. For your rental property 1098, include that on your Schedule E.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies