turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sanderva1

Out of state tax credit I claimed for taxes paid to WV

Virginia Dpt of Taxation is just now getting to 2019 individual tax returns.  They have hit me for Tax Due plus Accrued Interest due - $ 688! I had a long chat with the VA Tax Examiner who said the computations in my taxes were wrong, and now they wanted the back money due.  I have income in WV, so I use TurboTax to compute my WV tax first.  I reside in Virginia, so then I do Virginia taxes with TurboTax, and a credit is applied for tax paid to WV.  VA now says they have reduced the 2019 WV credit because "the taxable income is computed using the other state's allocation percentage." I trust TurboTax to have all the right formulas so the software correctly computes the numbers for me.   It appears TurboTax did not have the right code.  TurboTax...how can you help me?  How can I trust your VA and WV software?  Can you confirm you are looking into this and will fix it so it does not happen in the future?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

See the answer to your earlier post about the same issue.

Please keep all your related questions in one thread. Do not post separate questions about the same issue. When information is scattered in multiple threads it's confusing and hard to follow, and hard to see the whole picture. If you want to add more information or post a follow-up question, add a reply to your original question.

sanderva1

Sorry for the double posting. But the first place I could post my problem only allowed 170 characters, too few to accurately describe my situation. When I got to the second 'window', I was allowed to better explain and hopefully get a better reply.

TomD8
Level 15

This may or may not be helpful, but you might want to review the "Special Circumstances" section of this web page from the VA Tax website, in particular the rules that apply to taxpayers with income from WV:

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/credit-for-taxes-paid-to-another-state

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies