Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On the Non-Maryland Income Allocation, as a part time resident, what portion of the capitol loss carryover do I enter? Do I use a negative sign?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

On the Non-Maryland Income Allocation, as a part time resident, what portion of the capitol loss carryover do I enter? Do I use a negative sign?

It depends. You would enter a percentage of carryover to reflect the time you lived in Maryland. For an example, if you lived in Maryland for 6 months, you would allocate 50% of that carryover as Maryland income. If you lived there five months, it would be 5/12 of the carryover.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thats what I figured. The Federal column shows (-3000). Hypothetically then, would I enter in the Non-Maryland column (-1500) or (+1500) as the GUI permits both entries. Oddly entering (-1500) results in more taxes than entering (0) so presumably I would enter (+1500)? 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, I would enter these as  positive numbers. The reason why the federal shows (-$3000) is that this is a reduction of federal income because of the capitol loss carryover.

kmartin88

I have a similar situation in the sense that I work in Maryland and my husband works in Delaware where we reside. He also owns a business in Delaware and this year we had a loss on our Federal Taxes.

I am unsure if I am to put a (-) amount or just type the amount. For example if we had a $5000 loss on our Federal Total [-$5,000] do I enter -$5,000 on the Non-Maryland column or simply $5,000?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

You would enter the negative number in the NON-Maryland column since none of the loss was "earned" in MD.  

hicham123
Returning Member

According to DaveF1006 from above, we would enter a positive number in the non maryland. However, from your post, we would enter a positive number. Could you please review and advise which is correct ?

The main reason being it makes a big difference in Maryland taxes, either due or, to no due, based on if the number is positive or negative.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The entry in the Non-Maryland column would have the same sign as the entry in the Federal Total column. In the non-Maryland column you are being asked to enter the amount from the Federal column that does not pertain to Maryland, so it could be anything from $0 to the amount in the federal column, but not less or more than that amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies