turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Alex19

On my W-2, Box 17 (State income tax) is blank, and on my paychecks I notice State tax withholding; shouldn't Box 17 include the amount that was withheld from my paychecks?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On my W-2, Box 17 (State income tax) is blank, and on my paychecks I notice State tax withholding; shouldn't Box 17 include the amount that was withheld from my paychecks?

Step #1: Contact Employer

First, you should contact your employer, tell them about the problem, and ask them to issue you a new or corrected W-2.

Step #2: Call the IRS

If you do not receive the missing or corrected W-2 form from your employer, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 and ask for assistance. After February 14, the IRS will contact the employer for you and request the missing W-2. This often does the trick, since most employers take phone calls from the IRS seriously.

Before you call the IRS, be prepared to provide the following information:

• your name, address, and phone number
  • your Social Security number
  • the dates of your employment, and
  • your employer/payer's name, address, and phone number.
Step #3: Use IRS Form 4852 to File Your Return

If you still don't receive the W-2 you need from your employer, you may prepare a substitute W-2 yourself to file with your tax return. To do this, you must complete and file with your return IRS Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2 or Form 1099-R. The IRS automatically sends you a copy of this form along with a letter containing instructions when you make a phone call as described in Step #2 above.

To complete Form 4852, you'll need to list your total wages, tips, and other compensation you received from the employer, as well as the amount of taxes it withheld from your pay and sent to the IRS. You can use your pay stubs to figure this out.

If you receive the missing or corrected Form W-2 after you filed your return and you discover you made a mistake on your Form 4852 that you need to correct, you'll need to file an amended tax return for the year using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
maglib
Level 11

often there may be more than 1 page for your w-2....  yes box 17 should show state taxes withheld from your paychecks.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Step #1: Contact Employer

First, you should contact your employer, tell them about the problem, and ask them to issue you a new or corrected W-2.

Step #2: Call the IRS

If you do not receive the missing or corrected W-2 form from your employer, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 and ask for assistance. After February 14, the IRS will contact the employer for you and request the missing W-2. This often does the trick, since most employers take phone calls from the IRS seriously.

Before you call the IRS, be prepared to provide the following information:

• your name, address, and phone number
  • your Social Security number
  • the dates of your employment, and
  • your employer/payer's name, address, and phone number.
Step #3: Use IRS Form 4852 to File Your Return

If you still don't receive the W-2 you need from your employer, you may prepare a substitute W-2 yourself to file with your tax return. To do this, you must complete and file with your return IRS Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2 or Form 1099-R. The IRS automatically sends you a copy of this form along with a letter containing instructions when you make a phone call as described in Step #2 above.

To complete Form 4852, you'll need to list your total wages, tips, and other compensation you received from the employer, as well as the amount of taxes it withheld from your pay and sent to the IRS. You can use your pay stubs to figure this out.

If you receive the missing or corrected Form W-2 after you filed your return and you discover you made a mistake on your Form 4852 that you need to correct, you'll need to file an amended tax return for the year using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies