Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DHudson65

Ohio Retirement income taxed, but we are residents of Florida

My husband receives retirement income from Ohio Police Officers' Pension.   The Pension deducted for Ohio taxes even though we are full time residents of Florida.     How do I get these funds back using TurboTax?    Our status in turbo tax is non-resident for Ohio and I tried filing for non-resident credit, but it doesn't allow me to manually key in the data in the appropriate non-resident credit form and isn't pulling the data from the 1099-R form I loaded.    TurboTax doesnt seem to be working.    My only thought is to fill out the paper forms and mail them in to get the credit - which defeats the purpose of the $45 I paid for the state tax forms from turbotax.   Help? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

On your Ohio non resident return, enter 0 on the screen that asks for the amount of income earned in that state. This will eliminate your tax liability for that state, resulting in a full refund.

How do I file a nonresident state return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DHudson65 

ANNND...you need to inform the people who pay out those $$ that you are now Residents of FL, so that they stop withholding OH taxes.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
DHudson65

Tried that - didn't work.    It only asked about my W2 income, not my husband's 1099R income.    

Frustrating when Turbo Tax doesn't work for what I bought it for 

DHudson65

Finally figured it out - really painful to use TT when you have an unusual situation.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@DHudson65  Please post what you did to get it to work, so others can be helped. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies