aislynwise

Ohio claims school district taxes unfiled/unpaid for 3rd year in a row

I just want to confirm, if I file my state and school district taxes through TurboTax (and get a refund), I don't need to do anything else, right? The payment and filing is taken care of.

Want to make sure before I dispute this.

Hal_Al

No. Although both are administered by the Ohio Dept. of Taxation (DOT), the state income tax and School District Income Tax (SDIT) are two different things. If you filed a SDIT return, you would have gotten a  separate refund or paid an SD balance due. That is, your SDIT was NOT taken care of by the state filing.

TurboTax (TT) does not automatically prepare a School District return, you must initiate it. At the screen, in the Ohio program, titled  "A few things before we wrap up your state taxes", scroll down to School District taxes. 

Or later at the screen  "Your 2016 Ohio Taxes are ready for us to check"
    -Click Other situations
    -Scroll down to School District taxes.

Look at your list of Ohio forms. if you do not have an SD100, you did not prepare a School District return.   Usually  the School District return  is e-filed with the state return, if you did prepare one, but there are exceptions. Read the 'filing instructions" that TurboTax prepares, They will tell you if the SD100 was e-filed or if you had to mail it.

Hal_Al

-Click Other situations
    -Scroll down to School District taxes.

aislynwise

Thank you so much! So I do have an SD100. In that case, you're saying I was supposed to submit that payment myself? It doesn't come out of the state refund?
Hal_Al

That's correct. Turbotax should have produced a payment voucher, form SD 40P
aislynwise

Thank you so much! I completely missed that I guess.