Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NYS Tax Dept Requesting W2

I just received NYS tax letter DTF-948-O. This letter seems to be a request for information on proof of wages and withholdings for New York State.

In taking a look at their checklist for acceptable proof of wages and withholdings, its asking me to send them:

W-2 forms (which i can do) ... and it also says if you claimed taxes were withheld from any other source of income, then send them (1099-R, 1099-MISC, 1099-G, or any other form to verify tax withheld.

I am wondering if I should send them all of my 1099's or not? For example, if I have a 1099-NEC where the state tax withheld info is blank, should I send that in? Or 1099-INTs where state tax info would be blank as well? I was thinking of only sending my W2s, since if state tax info is blank on 1099's then I wouldn't be claiming state tax was withheld... but want to make sure my response to them is complete. 

Looking for advice on what I should send and any ideas why i'd be receiving this letter for my 2021 NYS return. Anyone else had this happen and could share their experience?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Also the info on how to respond to this notice that i am looking at is located here

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/letters/wages-withholding.htm

Only send what they are asking for, which is proof of your withholding.

Apparently, your employer has not sent the state copy of the W-2 or it doesn't match NY;s records, or you claimed some other type of withholding, and what you reported on your tax returns doesn't match their records.

They aren't asking to verify your income, they are asking to verify your withholding and tax payments.  Don't send a paper blizzard of things they aren't asking for. 

Thank you for the reply. So your recommendation would be to send them my w-2s only? And only a 1099 if it reflects an amount for NYS taxes paid? 

Right.  On a 1099NEC the state withholding should be in box 5 and 1099R box 14.  1099B box 16.  Just check each 1099 for state withholding.  

if originals are requested, then you should make copies of them before sending or send copies if allowed. also, use a mailing method where you get proof of delivery. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies