Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jeffrose5

NYS IT-225 Non-resident 529 deduction code S-103 is not allowing me to e-file

I am a non-resident (NJ) filer with income from NY and am funding our kids' 529 plans under the NY 529 plan (deduction code S-103 on the IT-225). In years past (when not efiling), I have been able to allocate the 10,000 deduction against NY income, but Turbotax is not allowing this when trying attempting to efile. I believe I should be able to allocate the deduction against NY income, but TT won't allow this or an override to efile. I may just end up mailing in the return if it's not something that can be fixed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

Instructions changed for non-residents, you can no longer allocate any to the NY amount.  IT -225 instructions https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it225i.pdf

Form IT-203 filers: If in 2018 you, as an account owner, made contributions to one or more tuition savings accounts established under New York’s 529 college savings program, then enter that amount, up to $5,000 for an individual, head of household, qualifying widow(er), or married taxpayers filing separately, or up to $10,000 for married taxpayers filing a joint return, in the Total amount column only. Part-year resident individuals only: Also enter in the New York State allocated amount column any such contribution(s) made while a resident of New York State

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

Instructions changed for non-residents, you can no longer allocate any to the NY amount.  IT -225 instructions https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it225i.pdf

Form IT-203 filers: If in 2018 you, as an account owner, made contributions to one or more tuition savings accounts established under New York’s 529 college savings program, then enter that amount, up to $5,000 for an individual, head of household, qualifying widow(er), or married taxpayers filing separately, or up to $10,000 for married taxpayers filing a joint return, in the Total amount column only. Part-year resident individuals only: Also enter in the New York State allocated amount column any such contribution(s) made while a resident of New York State

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies