turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NY tax credit

I work in PA and live in NY, my employer takes out NY state taxes and also the tax for the local city I work in, in PA. Do I have to file PA nonresident form or just the Berkheimer Taxpayer annual local earned income tax return F-1 to get resident credit paid to the local government?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

NY tax credit

Since you worked in Pennsylvania, you would have to file the nonresident state return and also the local tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

NY tax credit

To be clear: I have to file PA even though I did not have any taxes withheld for PA?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

NY tax credit

Yes. You are still subject to the local earned income tax if your work municipality has such as tax. Your employer should be withholding EIT.

Pennsylvania says:

As an employer, you must complete the Residency Certification Form for each employee. For an employee who lives out-of-state, the “Resident PSD Code” will be 880000, and the “Total Resident EIT Rate” will be 0%. The out-of-state resident employee will still be subject to and owe the “Work Location Non-Resident EIT Rate,” as well as the Local Services Tax (LST), based on the PA worksite municipality. You are required to make remittances to the local tax collector(s) for the worksite location(s). Follow the steps outlined on the Local Income Tax Requirements for Employers page for more information.

See Employees Who Work In Pa, But Live Outside Of Pa?

You can file Berkheimer online.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies