Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rgibsin

NY State Charge in Free Edition

I was trying to use the Mobile version to file my taxes earlier this year, and I saw that NY State was charging for filing. I thought it was free, since I know the Online version doesn’t do that.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Did you use the Free Edition or Free File website?  State is free in those.  But in The Online Deluxe and higher versions state is currently 44.99.  The Online fees are to prepare the state return whether you efile or print and mail.  Efiling is free and included.

But the Desktop CD/Download program works different.  The first state program download is free and each state return is free to print and mail.  But it is 24.99 to efile a state return from the Desktop program.  EXCEPT New York is free to efile from the Desktop program.

So state should be free in the Free Edition.

You must have seen something wrong or you have upgraded to Deluxe Online.  How much did you see state for?

rgibsin

I had used the Free Edition on iOS. And if I remember correctly, it was around $35 or so. 

jjac11433

I purchased and downloaded the turbo deluxe and have finished filing my taxes.  I can e-file federal free, but it costs $19.99 to e-file state.  I found from the NYS Tax website that I can e-file free from turbo tax, but I did not use the free turbo tax to file.  Is there any way I can e-file my state free, even though I did not use the free turbo tax download

The Desktop program should not charge you for NY.  If it does, Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time Monday - Sunday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

When you go to the CD product page here  and click on 1 state download (On Deluxe or higher) you get this pop up.  Scroll down to the bottom of the pop up.  At the very bottom it says efile fees do not apply to New York

5D1B6395-0003-44A5-B6C4-58BB2B246738.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies