ssantianna

NY Part Year Resident

Hi - I moved from NY to FL in Sept 2020.

I always filed  multi-state returns. I worked in NJ and lived in NY.

Now I moved from NY in Sept and my NY return is calculating 100% of my federal income even though only 59% of that income was earned in NY.  what am i doing wrong

DMarkM1

NY Part Year Resident

In the NY state interview you will allocate to NY only the NY portion of wages. 

After the residency questions you will arrive at a page titled "Date of last move".  You will enter when you left NY and then select an appropriate answer to the status on 31 Dec.  I assume it will be "did not live in NY and no NY income while a non-resident."  That will open the interview questions to allow an allocation to NY only.

Later in the interview as in prior years you will also have the opportunity to claim a NY credit for taxes paid to NJ while you were in NY.  You should complete the NJ non-resident return first to have the numbers you need for the NY return credit.

ssantianna

NY Part Year Resident

Thank you.  I did my NJ taxes first and it didn't transfer over to my NY return.  It typically has in the past.  All good now!