turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NY e-File Mandate

NYS Tax Dept. touts that all NY tax returns prepared with tax preparation software must be e-filed, and there is no additional cost to do so.  But ... that's really not true, particularly as many tax preparation packages offer federal filing at no charge but state filing additional cost.  Furthermore, once e-filing is closed for the tax season (usually in November), e-filing is no longer possible.

So, what happens if I print and mail a NY tax return anyway?  Do I have to wait until December to do it?  The issue is there is a federal statement of election attachment needed on my return that the tax software does not seem to be generating, so I am mailing in the federal return instead, and I cannot e-file a NY return without also e-filing federal return. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

NY e-File Mandate

NY will accept a mailed return when you have to mail the federal return.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/return_assembly_mail.htm

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

NY e-File Mandate

Yes, but it's not that I have to e-file the federal return.  It's that I don't want to and choose not to, even though it has been prepared by tax software and could be e-filed.  Is that alone sufficient grounds to opt out of the NY e-file mandate?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies