turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I downloaded Turbotax Home&Bus & Virginia state to do my taxes & in-laws taxes. It's asking me to pay for VA state a 2nd time when filing in-laws taxes. Is that correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I downloaded Turbotax Home&Bus & Virginia state to do my taxes & in-laws taxes. It's asking me to pay for VA state a 2nd time when filing in-laws taxes. Is that correct?

No, you should not have to pay for the VA state program again.

With Home and Business you get an included state program with which you can prepare multiple returns of the same state.  So if you chose Virginia for your included state, you do NOT have to pay for the state program a second time when preparing additional VA returns.    

If efiling, however, you do have to pay the 24.99 state efile fee again.   I'm not sure which of those you are referring to.

If you're referring to the state program download, try this.  Open the return in question.  When you start to prepare the VA return, does a window pop up that says "Let's complete your purchase online?"     If so, play along a bit.  Click on the blue Continue button.   See if the next screen is divided in half.   Ignore what is on the left side of the screen.  Do NOT select a state on the left side of the screen.

Instead on the right side of the screen is there a box that says "Here are the states you've downloaded?"   If so, put a checkmark by Virginia  and click "Download now."     That won't charge you for the state program again, and likely doesn't even download it again, but will associate it with the return you are preparing.

The "Federal plus one free state" version of Turbotax Deluxe charges an extra $24,99 to e-file your state return.  It still ends up being more cost effective in most cases.  For a second return, you will need to pay a second e-file fee but you should not have to pay to download and re-install the state preparation module.  Or, you can print the return and mail it for no extra cost.

ddose1

the "plus one free state" is MISLEADING. It's like a bait and switch. You should add the following "plus state fees to e-file". Not good product representation. You do a great job of creating the taxes for federal and state, you just need a better execution for state filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies