Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I contributed post-tax to HSA. Do I manually remove this from my W-2 wages in state return?

I lived in MA where HSA contributions are tax deductible. I contributed $1000 post-tax money to my HSA in 2018. I have to do a part-year resident state return for MA and for CA since I moved this year.

When I do my state return, it asks for my total 2018 W-2 wages and how much of that total I made in each state. Do I manually subtract my post-tax HSA contributions from my MA W-2 wages so that I get a tax credit? I don't think TT is auto removing my post-tax HSA contribution from my W-2 wages...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I contributed post-tax to HSA. Do I manually remove this from my W-2 wages in state return?

No, do not alter your MA state income.

Actually, I would expect that California is adding your post-tax HSA contribution in the additions part of the CA return (thus increasing CA state income).

If so, and if you made the contribution to the HSA only in MA, then you will need to add a subtraction to the CA return, listed as "Adjustment for non-California HSA contribution" (but only if you find that California added your post-tax amount back to CA income).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies