turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NJ State Tax Rejection

Hello all,

My NJ State Tax keeps getting rejected stating an issue with Form 8915-E.  Turbo Tax software finds no mistakes but yet 2 times e-filed and 2 times rejected. First rejection TT stated wait for update so I did and no errors found. E filed again to a rejection and yet again have to wait for another update now for June 11th. Had to file for an extension thru TT the first time but no idea if it was granted. Very frustrated and want to know why this is a ongoing problem? No issues with my federal already processed and received refund. 

Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

kalibrator600

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

NJ State Tax Rejection

Per NJ:

The Division is flexible in reporting CRD distributions. You can report income over three years or in one year (the year of distribution). In either case, you must use State reporting calculations to determine the New Jersey taxable and excludable amounts, since most retirement plans include previously taxed contributions. See pages 12 – 14 of the NJ-1040 instructions  or GIT-1&2 .

NJ Division of Taxation - COVID-19 Information - Pensions, IRA, and 401K Distributions

This is only a guess, but the uniqueness of how NJ handles retirement distributions may preclude efiling the state return.  I would just bite the bullet and file by mail.

NJ State Tax Rejection

@SweetieJean 

are  you suggesting TurboTax has turned off E-File for NJ  if it includes that form on federal?

based on other forum posts, people were waiting for a software change.

Perhaps the software change has not come and never will come ?

@kalibrator600 

Only TurboTax Customer Support can tell you if you should continue to wait for new software.

OR, give up and file on paper as suggested.

NJ State Tax Rejection

@fanfare I really don't know.  But I suspect any software update may never come.

NJ State Tax Rejection

Anyway you look at it, TurboTax is certainly mistreating its customers.

This year I used the New Jersey Online Income Tax Filing on the Division website.

Despite an annoying glitch, it worked out for me.

I did have the assistance of tax software.

NJ State Tax Rejection

Thanks for input. I will wait for software update to see what happens before I go mail in. My issue is I paid for the state e file and hate to lose out on that cost. I just don't understand hoe TT is not picking this up and what it is looking for that states I have no errors.  I did file an extension when it first happened but no idea if NJ approved it. Thanks again

NJ State Tax Rejection

I am in the same boat. I e-filed via TT for both Fed and NJ. Fed was processed and refund was received. NJ was rejected. I waited until last Saturday to try to fix it. Had some updates in TT, but not sure whether it was anything related. And then was told if this is an amendment, it has to be filed by mail.

My questions are:

1. Was the original return rejected by NJ or TT itself, as when I checked my refund status on NJ state website, I got the following info. The last line made me think whether the e-file was sent to NJ at all.

We have no information for the Social Security number and refund amount you entered at this time. This may be because:

• You entered your Social Security number incorrectly; or
  • You filed your New Jersey State tax return with your spouse and your spouse’s Social Security number was entered first on the return. (Try again entering your spouse’s Social Security number); or
  • We haven’t processed your New Jersey State tax return yet. Allow more time for processing and check back again. Once we begin processing your return, an update will be available on this refund inquiry system.

2. How do I find out whether TT has the relevant updates? When I tried the amendment, there was really no difference between the before and after.

3. If I have to mail it in, can I get a refund from TT?

NJ State Tax Rejection

@kalibrator600 

If you filed an extension , approval is automatic.

You don't file for an extension if you are getting a refund. you have three years to claim it.

@neopho 

1. If rejected by NJ,  NJ does not set your status as REJECTED. you have no status. It doesn't matter who REJECTED it.

2. Print your return and review it for correctness and accuracy.

TurboTax should not be REJECTING tax returns, IMO. And then not make an announcement. It's not right.

JerryI_NJ

NJ State Tax Rejection

I am also in the same boat.  I'm disgusted that I've attempted to file twice - once before, and once after TurboTax said they would have this fixed, only to get rejected again and have the date move out.  There is zero communication on this.  I've been a Turbo Tax user since it came out, I don't even know how many years ago, sometime in the '90's I guess.   If this doesn't get fixed, I will use a different tax software next year.  I at least want some **bleep** direct communication as to what's going on.

Get with the program, Intuit.

Jerry NJ

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies