Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NJ State NONResident Capital Gains

My wife and I must file a New Jersey NON resident income tax return, in addition to our Federal and Pennsylvania returns. We are residents of PA. I have capital gains income that I believe is required to be reported in Column A on the NJ income return. However, I cannot get TurboTax to report those capital gains there, even though it accurately reports it on both my Federal and PA state returns. 

Although the capital gain income is not from a NJ source, my understanding is that I am required to report it to NJ still in Column A (I guess just so they know about it). Interestingly, TurboTax does report my dividend and interest income to NJ in Column A which I believe to be correct. I just can't get TT to report the capital gains in Column A to NJ.

Can someone please advise why TT is reporting divident and interest income correctly to NJ but not my capital gains, even though my capital gains are being reported correctly on my Federal and Pennsylvania state returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, the gains must be reported except for the rules you mention. NJ wants capital gains reported on different lines depending on where the gains originated. Capital gains from 1099-DIV should show on line 66. You may want to review your federal entry of the 1099-DIV forms.

Otherwise, you can look here and do a control F  and enter capital in the search box for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Amy for your response! TT pulled all my brokerage data automatically from TD Ameritrade. That info populated correctly on the Federal and PA state returns, and even the dividend and interest income was correct on all three, including New Jersey. TT just didn't populate the capital gains on Jersey only for some reason but did report all the other income.

QQ, you mention my entry in the 1099-Div form. However, my capital gain stock trades are on a 1099-B. Does that change your answer at all?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No, same answer. Is your line 19 showing any amount as coming from Part I for the federal amount?  All capital gains / loss should be reported from mutual fund, broker, personal sale, etc on part I. The total is carried to line 19.

The wording for line 19 is misleading. If the sum of all your capital gains is a loss, it should be showing as a zero on line 19. Otherwise, a gain should be showing.

Please check your NJ 1040-NR page 3, part I and see if your information is carrying into the program. If not, you will need to contact support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies