Solved: My total income is $15,473.40 and I am a state employee in Virginia. Can I claim the Federal/State employee subtraction and subtract out $15,000 of that income?

My total income is $15,473.40 and I am a state employee in Virginia. Can I claim the Federal/State employee subtraction and subtract out $15,000 of that income?

No.  You can't claim the Federal/State employee subtraction on your Virginia return and subtract out $15,000 of your income because your total income is more than $15,000.

The instructions for VA Form 760 (p. 18) state:

Federal and State Employees - Any individual who qualifies as a federal or state employee earning $15,000 or less in annual salary from all employment can subtract up to $15,000 of the salary from that state or federal job. If both spouses on a joint return qualify, each spouse may claim the subtraction. The subtraction cannot exceed the actual salary received. If you claim this subtraction, you cannot claim a Credit for Low-Income Individuals or Virginia Earned Income Credit.

[Edited | 4/15/2020 | 9:07am PDT]

[Edited | 4/15/2020 | 9:07am PDT]