Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My office is in NJ and I live in NY. But I worked from home in NY most of 2020 due to the pandemic. Should I allocate my NJ wages to NY?

I usually work in NJ and live in NY. Due to the pandemic, I have not worked in my NJ office since March of 2020. 

When I do my NJ taxes, in my NJ Income Allocations, should I allocate most of my NJ wages to NY (say 70% NY wages/30% NJ wages) ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

My office is in NJ and I live in NY. But I worked from home in NY most of 2020 due to the pandemic. Should I allocate my NJ wages to NY?

Not quite.  NY is your resident state. There is no allocation involved there.  You are taxed by NY on all income from all sources by your resident state.  The non-resident state in this case NJ is where you get to allocate and in your circumstance that would be 100% of your wages allocate to NJ and then you get a credit on your NY return for the taxes paid to NJ to mitigate the double taxation on those wages.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can allocate based on where you did the work.

New Jersey sourcing rules dictate that income is sourced based on where the service or employment is performed based on a day’s method of allocation. However, during the temporary period of COVID-19 pandemic, wage income will continue to be sourced as determined by the employer in accordance with the employer’s jurisdiction.

Thanks! Just to confirm, due to the special Covid situation in 2020, I should file wages 100% NJ income as if I worked in the NJ office the whole year and get a credit on my NY return. Non of the wages would be allocated to NY income. 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Not quite.  NY is your resident state. There is no allocation involved there.  You are taxed by NY on all income from all sources by your resident state.  The non-resident state in this case NJ is where you get to allocate and in your circumstance that would be 100% of your wages allocate to NJ and then you get a credit on your NY return for the taxes paid to NJ to mitigate the double taxation on those wages.  

WBM3

I live in TX and work for a NJ employer.  Since I did all my work outside of NJ, do I have any NJ earnings?   

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

New Jersey used to follow the "convenience to the employer" principle that allowed them to tax a telecommuter working on behalf of  a New Jersey employer but living outside of the state.  However, it seems that they have dropped that stance, which would mean that you would only file a New Jersey return if New Jersey tax has been withheld from your income.

the main office is in NY but I never stepped foot in NY I work in NJ office. Why do I have to pay taxes to both?

TomD8
Level 15

@Dfeliciano1972 --

If you're a full-year non-resident of New Yok, and you never physically worked in New York during the tax year, not even for a single day, then you have no income tax obligation to the state of New York.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies