Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pcdc1118

My employer deducted taxes for a city and county I do not live in. Can I get that back

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My employer deducted taxes for a city and county I do not live in. Can I get that back

But did you work in that location?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Probably not.  It Depends on the city, county and state you are in.  The general rule is you are subject to city income tax for the city you work in as well as the city you live in.  The city you live in may (probably) give you a credit for tax withheld for the work city. 

pcdc1118

I am a remote tech so I work all over the state, but not where they taxed me(home office)

Hal_Al
Level 15

You still haven't said where this is.

In my state, Ohio, in your situation your employer will withhold city tax for where their office is (it required by law).  You can file for a refund, if you didn't actually work there (or didn't work there 100%).  In most OH cities that takes a special form (you can't do it in TurboTax).  Then you have to file forms and pay tax in all the cities you did work in, as well as your resident city.  Contact each city for forms, there may be a minimum number of days exclusion. 

Michigan cities are similar, but may not be exactly the same. 

pcdc1118

For Ohio that may be true but not for Kentucky. I’ve never worked in the home office area

Hal_Al
Level 15

Contact the city/county tax dept. and ask them what the procedure for a refund is.  Also ask them whether the withholding is proper.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies