turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mziffer

My company has me as an Illinois resident, however i never lived there or worked there in 2019. I paid taxes to IL and GA (live/work). How do i get this fixed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My company has me as an Illinois resident, however i never lived there or worked there in 2019. I paid taxes to IL and GA (live/work). How do i get this fixed

Have your company stop the Illinois state income taxes from being withheld from your wages.

You will have to file two state tax returns.  The Illinois nonresident state return showing 0 income and the Georgia resident state tax return including all income.  You will get all the IL state income taxes withheld refunded to you.  You complete the nonresident state tax return before completing the resident state tax return.

When entering your personal information in the My Info section, you enter your resident state as Georgia.  You will be asked if you earned money in any other states, answer Yes and select Illinois as the other state.

TomD8
Level 15

I recommend you file the Illinois return on paper, with a letter explaining why you are claiming zero Illinois income.

If you e-file, the return may be automatically rejected because it doesn't match your W-2.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies