Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

der1995

Multiple state and a out of state student

My issue is which one is my resident and which one is my non-resident? Iowa is where I rent an apartment for both semesters (9.5 months) and made about 10k. I am from Louisiana, where I made 4.5k, where everything is registered, and where I spend my time (2.5 months) off from grad school.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Out of state students are considered full year residents of their home state (LA in your case).

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. You will have to file a non resident IA state return and pay IA tax on the income earned there.. You will also file a LA full year resident return and calculate tax on ALL your income. LA will give you a credit, or partial credit, for the tax you pay IA. So, there will be little or no double taxation, but you have the cost and hassle of filing two state returns.

Do the nonresident state return first.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Out of state students are considered full year residents of their home state (LA in your case).

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. You will have to file a non resident IA state return and pay IA tax on the income earned there.. You will also file a LA full year resident return and calculate tax on ALL your income. LA will give you a credit, or partial credit, for the tax you pay IA. So, there will be little or no double taxation, but you have the cost and hassle of filing two state returns.

Do the nonresident state return first.  

der1995

Thank you. I figure that just wanted to make sure I understand it correctly 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies