der1995

Multiple state and a out of state student

My issue is which one is my resident and which one is my non-resident? Iowa is where I rent an apartment for both semesters (9.5 months) and made about 10k. I am from Louisiana, where I made 4.5k, where everything is registered, and where I spend my time (2.5 months) off from grad school.

Hal_Al

Out of state students are considered full year residents of their home state (LA in your case).

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. You will have to file a non resident IA state return and pay IA tax on the income earned there.. You will also file a LA full year resident return and calculate tax on ALL your income. LA will give you a credit, or partial credit, for the tax you pay IA. So, there will be little or no double taxation, but you have the cost and hassle of filing two state returns.

Do the nonresident state return first.  

Hal_Al

Do the nonresident state return first.  

der1995

Thank you. I figure that just wanted to make sure I understand it correctly