turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved out of California end of 2018. Have not worked/lived in CA in 2019 or own CA property & wont return. Do I simply not file CA return or do I have to tell CA I moved?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Moved out of California end of 2018. Have not worked/lived in CA in 2019 or own CA property & wont return. Do I simply not file CA return or do I have to tell CA I moved?

If you have not lived in California during 2019 or have any type of California sourced income then you do not file a 2019 California state income tax return.

There is no need to inform CA FTB that you are no longer a resident.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you have not lived in California during 2019 or have any type of California sourced income then you do not file a 2019 California state income tax return.

There is no need to inform CA FTB that you are no longer a resident.  

please recheck your answer; i think you meant if he hasn't lived / worked in CA in 2019 then no 2019 return is required, but 2018 is still required 🙂 

Thanks...Corrected the typo to read 2019

Just a word of warning, IF you have a mortgage on a property in CA they WILL send you a letter (in a year or 2) telling you they think you might have CA filing requirement, be sure to respond to that letter and explain that you do not live in CA and you are not earning any income on the property in CA....if you don't respond to that letter, they will start sending you bills based on what they think your income might be based on the amount of mortgage interest you pay on that CA property mortgage ....the state of CA is relentless in this regard and its a big hassle to clean up later.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies