turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved in 2018 but Turbo Tax still calculating previous state return? Why?

So I imported last year's return.  I was a resident of NJ until 12/23/2018.  This year I checked the new state and it is filing that return but it is also calculating and generating a NJ return.  I checked that I did not earn any income outside of the new state.  In my personal info it says correctly indicates my state of residency.

Any ideas where what I need to do to get rid of NJ?  or do I need to start over and NOT import last year's data?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Make sure in the My Info section that you indicated that you did not live in any other states or make money in any other states.

If all that is correct delete the New Jersey tax return.  See this for deleting a state tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-on...

Thanks but My Info section does not indicate any state but my current state or make money in any other states

looking at your link my "State" is a tab across the top next to the NJ there are no buttons but in reading further down we DID purchase a NJ state return package because we do returns of family members that live there.

Follow-up: if anyone is reading this down the road I was unable to delete NJ (I know I could just not print / submit NJ).  But to keep it clean I deleted the whole return and started over WITHOUT importing any info from the previous return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies