Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

email3

Moved from CA to VA in Feb 2022. My W2 shows 8971.27 in taxes already paid to VA. TurboTax software does not recognize this, and says my liability is 8,817. How to fix?

I'm filing two state returns due to moving from CA to VA. It seems TurboTax simply isn't seeing the 8971.27 already paid to VA on 164902.92 in state wages. Therefore, TurboTax is saying I owe ~8,817 which is obviously incorrect. There does not seem to be an option to enter the amount already withheld and no way to manually edit the raw return form, so I obviously can't continue to submit the filing with TurboTax. Looking for help ASAP, otherwise will have to use another service.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Moved from CA to VA in Feb 2022. My W2 shows 8971.27 in taxes already paid to VA. TurboTax software does not recognize this, and says my liability is 8,817. How to fix?

Re-check your entries in "My Info" to verify your resident state on 31 Dec is VA and you also lived in CA and the moving date is correct. 

Next in the "Wages and Income" section "Edit" the W2 and verify the state boxes 15-20 are correctly showing the VA income and withholding.

Then, return to the VA state interview and "Edit" the "Income" section.  Verify the allocation amounts, specifically the wages, to VA.  

Check the "VA Tax Summary" using the steps below to verify the "Total Payments" line.  You can also check the forms by using the print center. Find the VA form 760PY and check line 19 for VA withholding payments. 

1. Select "Tax Tools" in the left hand menu
2. Select "Tools"
3. Select "View Tax Summary"
4. Select "Preview My 1040" in the left hand menu 

5. Select "VA Tax Summary"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
email3

Thank you! It seems Virginia was missing from the list of states in the federal W2 section. I had been primarily looking in the state tax return section. I do not know why TurboTax did not automatically pick it up from the uploaded W2; that might be a software bug in TurboTax.

Once I manually edited that part of the W2 entry, the state tax return was corrected. Thank you for your quick help! I was about to search for another tax service, so your assistance definitely helped retain a customer.

Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies