Moved during 2020

smaurer62

Moved during 2020

My step-son moved from NJ to PA during 2020, but worked in PA the entire year. His W-2 is showing part of his wages and state income tax going to PA and part of his wages and state income tax going to NJ. How do I file his State taxes? Do I need to do part-year and non-resident forms for each state, or do I just do a regular state return for each showing only the income listed on his W-2?

Hal_Al

Moved during 2020

Deleted

TomD8

Moved during 2020

PA will not give a credit for taxes paid to reciprocal states such as NJ.  Instead, the taxpayer should enter his entire full-year NJ withholding amount on his part-year resident NJ return.  NJ will then refund the excess withholding.

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/PAPersonalIncomeTaxGuide/Pages/Deductions-and-Credit....

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

Hal_Al

Moved during 2020

@TomD8  Does reciprocity still apply in the case of part year residents?  I know it doesn't in the case of Ohio and it's neighbors (including PA), but I don't know about PA-NJ.

TomD8

Moved during 2020

In its tax publication that I referenced previously, PA clearly states it will not grant a credit for taxes paid to reciprocal states.  

Hal_Al

Moved during 2020

I've deleted my previous answer.

@TomD8  Are you able to instruct poster on how to file his part year returns for both state?