Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Missouri State E-filing and online pay

EVERYONE:  MO did, in fact, begin accepting direct debit payments in late February.  But the state failed to update TurboTax, which is where the disconnect comes in.  Now that you've brought this to light (THANK YOU!), TurboTax is investigating the issue and working on some info to share with MO filers.

You guys can hold off on mailing a check as long as you see the direct debit come through on your bank statement.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

I ended up double paying my taxes.   I had requested a direct debit from my bank account in TurboTax for Missouri taxes when I e-filed on Monday March 21.   After reading the posts on this forum that had been posted as of Friday March 25, when the debit had not occurred by Monday March 28, I submitted a direct debit request on the Missouri DOR website on Monday March 28.   On Tuesday March 29, there was a debit on my checking account, without the 50 cent transaction fee added on, which shows that it was the payment via the TurboTax e-filing,  and today, on Thursday March 31, there is another debit on my checking account, with the 50 cent transaction fee, which shows that it is from the Missouri DOR website.  I will attempt to figure out how to reach the DOR by phone.

@Kat @Sjc123 @scottsorensen , well I just looked, and yep, I was charged twice.  So, now I need to figure out how to get in touch with the state to get my money back. =-(  

Adding later, after trying to figure out how to contact State about this...

@Kat  any ideas on a phone number to call? Everything I am finding is about prior-to-payment, not how to reach someone once you have already paid TWICE...

I realize that it sounds like it is the State's fault for not apprising Turbotax, but since the error is down to the info that Turbotax put out, I am hoping they have a way of helping? 

Update--

I hope someone from Turbotax is able to find a better solution fast, because I have just spent all of this time trying to find a way to get in touch with the State.  I have been on hold for half an hour, and in the meantime, I have scheduled a call with a Tax representative, but get this:  there were no openings for a call until APRIL 6TH. not cool.  
I have also reached out and tagged both the Missouri Department of Revenue as well as Turbotax on social media. 
I encourage others to do the same. This is super frustrating, and we should have not to be putting out all of this extra effort. 

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@robynjonh @scottsorensen @Sjc123 @MarciaE 

TurboTax doesn't have any special contact information....at least not that I'm privy to.  Here's the link to the webpage where you can maybe "schedule a call"?  I surely hope this won't be too difficult for you all to get resolved.  I'm so sorry.  There are also email options.

Individual Income Tax Contact Information (mo.gov)

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

I was just as confused as everyone after filing my MO return.  My payment is scheduled a few days from now, I will be checking to see if the money is withdrawn.  At least I have a week to monitor this and time to submit the voucher payment if needed.  Just do not want to double up like some others have done.

I can confirm this does work. TurboTax had the funds withdrawn from my bank and the state received the transfer. TurboTax was a day or two late on the withdrawal and the state took 3ish days to see the payment completed, but I did talk to a state tax customer service representative and they confirmed payment was made. You can schedule a call through the DOR taxation website if you haven’t confirmed payment yet. 

Just adding my update from last week:

The good news is, I can be watching for a refund that DOES include the 50 cent transaction fee that was due when I went to the MO tax portal to pay, not knowing that the Direct Debit would come out (per the misinformation we have all been discussing for weeks). 
The bad news is, the amount of time and effort it took to get there was pretty ridiculous. 

Without telling you all of the ups and downs, I will just say that at the State level, it seems the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing, and not only were they unaware of the issue, the rep I spoke with did not even know that transaction fees existed, and for awhile I had to stand my ground that this was not something I or Turbotax should be responsible for (she literally told me in one message that I should ask Turbotax to refund any filing fees....umm, no, the fees came from the MO state website, so...)

Luckily after a few emails, I finally received the answer I was looking for and I should be receiving a full refund of the 2nd payment plus the transaction fee within the next 7 to 10 business days.  One waits and watches...

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@robynjonh Yay for you!  It does appear that the state was/is at fault, as TT can only incorporate the info that the state(s) give them.  I hope you get your refund from MO more quickly than the promised 7-10 days.

Thanks for posting back!

I am thankful for this thread.  Couldn't figure it out, either.  Set up payment for the 15th, so will have to wait and see if it hits my account, but you all make me feel better about it. 

Liz108

I am glad to read the debit should go through to pay my MO taxes, but concerned it has not been happening on the specified date.   I specified 4/14, and my federal was debited as scheduled but my state did not.    On 4/18, if it has not yet been debited, am I responsible for mailing another payment to not be considered late?  Or would they count my payment is on time since it was their fault for taking it late?     If I get penalized, will TurboTax fix it with MO?  

First, glad I read all of this as I had similar questions.  Comparing my PDF files from 2020 to 2021, the 2020 form allowed direct deposit (credit) but not a payment (debit) of MO taxes due when electronically filing (you either had to send a check or go to the website) but 2021 it has the option for both debit and credit.  I almost made a payment on the website as some of you did but, based on everything I've read here, I feel confident that the payment made as part of the 2021 electronic filing should go through.  Thanks to all for the great posts!

As to the question on late payments, my understanding is that as long as you filed electronically before the deadline the payment will be "on time".  It is just like if you mail your return... as long as it is postmarked by the due date you are good to go!

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@Liz108 Download the PDF of your federal and state returns.  The first page of each return should be the "Electronic Filing Instructions", where you should see the date you chose for your account to be debited.  The states are often behind in debiting your account.  As long as you have proof (the page I mentioned here) that you scheduled the direct debit before the filing deadline, you should be fine.  

See the info I'm linking for instructions on getting a copy of your 2021 return filed using TurboTax Online.

How do I get a copy of a return I filed this year in TurboTax Online? 

I'm sweating because my direct debit should have come out today, but didn't.

Go to Missouri Tax Tracker:  https://mytax.mo.gov/rptp/portal/home/return-tracker/ answer the 4 questions and check the status of your return. It may be that they just haven't processed your return yet. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies