Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Michigan pension deduction for public safety

Michigan passed PA 4 police and firefighters are exempt from state pension tax and can deduct in the 2023 tax year. No age restrictions .The program asked me if the pension was public safety I marked yes. I received no deductions on state tax  how can I get this deduction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I have the same problem. Retired firefighter, I too checked the public safety box but no deduction was given.

Did you get any information?

So what you have to do is use the desk top version. Go to form 4884. Halfway through you will see a section that asked if this is a pension from a public safety police fire corrections check the box. If the box does not check, then you have to go to schedule one of that form, check the box, public safety, pension, or police fire pension. I can’t remember how it was worded once that’s checked in schedule one then you should be able to go back and check the original box I had mentioned earlier as soon as you do that you will see all of last year‘s taxes you paid go into your refund spot 

So what you have to do is use the desk top version. Go to form 4884. Halfway through you will see a section that asked if this is a pension from a public safety police fire corrections check the box. If the box does not check, then you have to go to schedule one of that form, check the box, public safety, pension, or police fire pension. I can’t remember how it was worded once that’s checked in schedule one then you should be able to go back and check the original box I had mentioned earlier as soon as you do that you will see all of last year‘s taxes you paid go into your refund spot 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

TurboTax has been updated to reflect these new changes to the Michigan pension tax deduction.

You should now see a screen like this when entering your information:

If you are using TurboTax for Windows or Mac, please run all updates to your TurboTax program before entering your information. If you are using TurboTax Online, the program has already been updated. 

Click here for the new changes to Michigan's pension deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies