Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland 502 line 17 Deduction Method

TurboTax has filled Maryland 2021 form 502, line 17 with 4700.  When I click on the cell in the form, there is no indication where this amount comes from or ability to change it. 

Line 17 deals with adjustments to deductions if itemizing.  I am not itemizing on our federal return and the Standard Deduction Method box at the top of Maryland 502 line 17 is properly checked, so all of line 17 should be blank or zero.  Indeed, lines 17a and 17b are 0, but then there is the mysterious 4700 in the final line 17.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Actually, on line 17, you claim either the Standard Deduction or your Itemized Deductions.  $4,700 would be a common amount to be entered on the line.

If you are not itemizing, your deduction on line 17 would be your Standard Deduction amount.  

According to STANDARD DEDUCTION METHOD in the 2021 state & local tax forms & instructions found at 2021 Individual Income Tax Forms

The STANDARD DEDUCTION METHOD gives you a standard deduction of 15% of Maryland adjusted gross income (line 16) with minimums of $1,550 and $3,100 and maximums of $2,350 and $4,700, depending on your filing status. Use STANDARD DEDUCTION WORKSHEET (16A) for your filing status to figure your standard deduction. Write the result on line 17 of Form 502.

That’s why you’re seeing the $4,700 amount.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Actually, on line 17, you claim either the Standard Deduction or your Itemized Deductions.  $4,700 would be a common amount to be entered on the line.

If you are not itemizing, your deduction on line 17 would be your Standard Deduction amount.  

According to STANDARD DEDUCTION METHOD in the 2021 state & local tax forms & instructions found at 2021 Individual Income Tax Forms

The STANDARD DEDUCTION METHOD gives you a standard deduction of 15% of Maryland adjusted gross income (line 16) with minimums of $1,550 and $3,100 and maximums of $2,350 and $4,700, depending on your filing status. Use STANDARD DEDUCTION WORKSHEET (16A) for your filing status to figure your standard deduction. Write the result on line 17 of Form 502.

That’s why you’re seeing the $4,700 amount.

Moon9011

The standard deduction for 2022 in Maryland is $4850. I'm wondering why turbotax assigned me $4656 as the standard deduction on my 2022 state return.

Moon9011

Thank you. Using 15% of my adjusted gross works out to be the correct number.

Last year on my Maryland 502 form line 18 is filled in with an amount but this year the line is blank??? Will that cause my return to be held up? I really need this money by the end of the month. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

First, if line 16 minus line 17 greater than zero?

Second, is line 20 equal to what line 18 should be less line 19?

If line 20 is correct, then while I don't know why line 18 is blank, I don't think that a missing line 18 will matter.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Line 17-20 are all blank. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Was line 16 less than $4,850? It doesn't sound like you have any taxable income.

No! That's what I am not understanding. I am a single filer. I'm getting EIC. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Since you are single, you aren't required to file a Maryland tax return if your income is under $12,950. If that is the case, you are only filing to get a refund of taxes paid in, so the return may look a little strange but the bottom line is you would have no taxable income. @Jessimitchell29 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies