Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MA State Taxes

Hello,

I worked remotely for all the year from NC for a company in MA. when checked the W2 , there is NC in column 15 in Copy 2 and Copy C forms

My question is: Do I need to file MA state taxes ?

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

MA State Taxes

Yes.  If your employer is based in Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New York, or Pennsylvania, you must pay income taxes where your employer’s office is located.    Out-of-state Employers     At the bottom of that article is a help article with instructions for filing a nonresident return.     File the MA return first so you can get a credit on your NC resident return.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

MA State Taxes

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Have a question :    when you tell "File the MA return first" what does it mean ? It means , I need to file MA state tax first , then wait for one full day to file for NC and federal together ?

Please let me know 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

MA State Taxes

You don’t have to wait. You can file federal, Massachusetts, and North Carolina at the same time OR you can file Massachusetts first. If you do, you don’t have to wait one day.

Massachusetts does not tie its tax return to federal so both can be filed separately at any time. North Carolina is tied to your federal return so they must be filed together, or federal ahead of NC. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies