Local Tax Ohio

lagronin

Local Tax Ohio

I had a local tax taken out of my pay for a city that I worked in but did not live in. I am not an Ohio Resident, so I do not believe I should have had these taxes taken out, as they cannot be refunded. My employer told me I had to use my temporary Ohio address for filing instead of my permanent legal address. How can I file to get these back?

AlanT222

Local Tax Ohio

In Ohio, you have to pay local tax to the city in which you work and/or the city where you live.  Some Ohio resident cities, not all, provide a credit for taxes paid to other cities.  Since you are not an Ohio resident, you would not be able to get the amount withheld returned.    

Hal_Al

Local Tax Ohio

You cannot get Ohio city tax refunded.  The city you work in is allowed to tax you and your employer is required to withhold that tax, just because you physically work there. It has nothing to do with your address. 

You say you are not an Ohio Resident. Your home state may give you a credit for  the Ohio city tax you paid.  If you live in a city or county with an income tax, in you home state, they may also give you a credit.

You didn't mention OH state tax being withheld.  If you are a resident of a reciprocal state

(MI, PA, KY, WV, IN), be advised that  the reciprocity agreement does not apply to local city taxes.