turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lagronin

Local Tax Ohio

I had a local tax taken out of my pay for a city that I worked in but did not live in. I am not an Ohio Resident, so I do not believe I should have had these taxes taken out, as they cannot be refunded. My employer told me I had to use my temporary Ohio address for filing instead of my permanent legal address. How can I file to get these back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Local Tax Ohio

In Ohio, you have to pay local tax to the city in which you work and/or the city where you live.  Some Ohio resident cities, not all, provide a credit for taxes paid to other cities.  Since you are not an Ohio resident, you would not be able to get the amount withheld returned.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Local Tax Ohio

You cannot get Ohio city tax refunded.  The city you work in is allowed to tax you and your employer is required to withhold that tax, just because you physically work there. It has nothing to do with your address. 

You say you are not an Ohio Resident. Your home state may give you a credit for  the Ohio city tax you paid.  If you live in a city or county with an income tax, in you home state, they may also give you a credit.

You didn't mention OH state tax being withheld.  If you are a resident of a reciprocal state

(MI, PA, KY, WV, IN), be advised that  the reciprocity agreement does not apply to local city taxes.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies