Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lived in NYS from 01 to 06/2018. Received income from NYS-based employer from 01 to 08/2018. Would I report only the income from 01 to 06 as "New York resident" income?

I lived in New York State (NYC to be exact) from January 2018 to June 2018, at which point I moved to Texas. However, I continued to be employed by my NYS-based employer until August 2018. Regarding allocation of income, I'm assuming I would report the income I earned from January to June as "New York resident" income and the income I earned from July to August as "nonresident income"? The potential difference in my refund is quite large depending on how I allocate my income, so any insight into this would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CTY

Lived in NYS from 01 to 06/2018. Received income from NYS-based employer from 01 to 08/2018. Would I report only the income from 01 to 06 as "New York resident" income?

Generally, you will have to file a non-resident tax return for income you received while working in a state that is different from where you live.  Therefore, you are correct that you'll file a resident New York return for Jan 2018 to June 2018, and a non-resident New York state return for July 2018 to August 2018. Plus, you will need to file a resident Texas state return for the time where you are a resident of that state.   

To ensure accurate calculations, TurboTax strongly recommends preparing your nonresident state return before you prepare your resident state return. Here's additional info on how to file a nonresident state return:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302052

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies