Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Live in NJ, Work remotely in NJ most of the time, Assigned to Company's NYC branch

I live in NJ but I'm assigned to my company's NY branch. My company almost only withholds NY state tax.

Most of the time I work remote in NJ but come in to the office 1-2 a week. When I'm on the below page, should I be removing NY or NJ state wages? What's the reasoning?

Also, should I allocate 100% of my W2 wages from the company to NY or should it be ~25% because I'm remote in NJ ~75% of the time?

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 5.03.20 PM.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Live in NJ, Work remotely in NJ most of the time, Assigned to Company's NYC branch

1. I think you are on the NJ screen. It depends on what the boxes show versus reality that determines the right answer. If your w2 shows 100% of your NJ wages and 25% NY wages, then you need to exclude NY wages. If NJ wages are 75% and NY 25%, then together they make up your NJ income.

2. Remote work and taxation is evolving each year. Nonresidents are taxed on NY source income, which is primarily real property, like a rental house, a business, selling hats to tourists, services to NY clients and more.  Being an employee in the state is also NY income. There is an extensive list at Nonresidents: New York source income.

Only the portion that is from NY source income should be included on the NY tax return. So the days you work from home, are not NY source income. A few years ago, they were.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, it is the NJ screen. What do you mean by "If your w2 shows 100% of your NJ wages and 25% NY wages, then you need to exclude NY wages"? I'm still a bit confused which state I should be excluding. 

My W2 shows the income as being earned in NY and tax is withheld in NY (except no city tax is withheld) even though I live in NJ. However, there is also a second line duplicating my income and showing it as NJ. Below is the example...I redacted the actual numbers but approximate values would be Box 16 showing $405K for NJ and $400K for NY row and box 17 shows $100 for NJ and $35K for NY. Based on this, which state should I be excluding?

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 1.51.44 PM.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies