turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bikedrts

Hi. I live in Washington but work in Oregon. I payed Oregon income tax all year but i'm CDL driver. I should be exempt from it. Can i get it back thought turbo tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Hi. I live in Washington but work in Oregon. I payed Oregon income tax all year but i'm CDL driver. I should be exempt from it. Can i get it back thought turbo tax?

It depends.  Oregon has extensive information on this topic in Publication OR-17, Oregon Individual Income Tax Guide (Click on link, and look on page 41 for the subject Interstate Transportation Wages).  In that section, there were three examples (Examples 1, 2, and 4) that likely apply to your case.  As a driver, those three examples were exempt from Oregon taxes, but Example 4 speaks about a situation where a driver's income in Oregon could be taxable.  Before you file, make sure that you're situation qualifies for the exemption.

Assuming you do qualify, then, yes, you can prepare the return in TurboTax.  You will file a nonresident return for Oregon, and when it talks about allocating your Oregon income you will say that the amount of Oregon income is zero.  Instead of e-filing, you will want to mail-in the return with the words "Amtrak Act 1990" on the first page. (Keep in mind that Oregon may wish substantiation.)  Also, you may request from your employer that Oregon tax not be withheld from your check.so you do not have to file an Oregon return in the future.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  Oregon has extensive information on this topic in Publication OR-17, Oregon Individual Income Tax Guide (Click on link, and look on page 41 for the subject Interstate Transportation Wages).  In that section, there were three examples (Examples 1, 2, and 4) that likely apply to your case.  As a driver, those three examples were exempt from Oregon taxes, but Example 4 speaks about a situation where a driver's income in Oregon could be taxable.  Before you file, make sure that you're situation qualifies for the exemption.

Assuming you do qualify, then, yes, you can prepare the return in TurboTax.  You will file a nonresident return for Oregon, and when it talks about allocating your Oregon income you will say that the amount of Oregon income is zero.  Instead of e-filing, you will want to mail-in the return with the words "Amtrak Act 1990" on the first page. (Keep in mind that Oregon may wish substantiation.)  Also, you may request from your employer that Oregon tax not be withheld from your check.so you do not have to file an Oregon return in the future.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Amtrak act. Awesome break for wa residents working in oregon.  Notify your HR and after your first year of working, when it's time to file the first time, take it in to an actual tax place to make sure it goes smoothly,  after that you should see OR state tax be removed from your checks. Good luck because I had to prove I was travelling back and forth. I just left Oregon and work and live in washington.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies