Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incorrect AutoFilled Information

Hello!!

I am filing late for my 2016 taxes due to not receiving my W2 and going through HOOPS to get it. I saw that turbo tax had already autofilled most of the information. But they had numbers in boxes 16 and 17, where my W2 had them blank. I am confused because my other W2s had information in these boxes as well.

When I deleted the boxes, my return drops substantially. This is surprising because I expected a large return that year due to having the most deducted possible from each paycheck from both jobs & I don't know why such a small paycheck (I worked there for a month and a half) would affect my return so much..?
My question is: where did TurboTax get this information from that I do not have and should I turn it in with the autofilled numbers or leave them blank?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Make sure the data that is in TurboTax matches your W-2 correctly, eliminate any other numbers listed, and add any data missing in TurboTax.  

We do not have access to your TurboTax account to determine how or why this data populated your W-2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

First of all, you are using the 2016 tax program installed on your computer to do your 2016 return, right?

The reason I ask, is that TurboTax does not autofill boxes 16 and 17, unless you import your W-2 information. That is not an option on a 2016 tax return, it is only for the current year. 

Boxes 16 and 17 are for your state income and state income tax withheld. Not having any numbers in boxes 16 and 17, could affect (decrease), both your state and federal refund as the state tax withheld increases your state refund and your itemized deductions.

That being said, you have to go with the copy you were given by your employer, because that is what was filed with the IRS.

If you have multiple copies, Copy B, Copy C, etc., be sure to check each of them. Occasionally an employer will only include the state tax information on one or two of the copies and leave the others blank. 

Yes I am!

I promise you that every single box except boxes 1, 2 , 6 and 12 were filled out! My employers tax ID, address and everything else including 16 & 17. I have no idea where these numbers came from, but they do equate to giving me the same return I am usually getting.

Is it at all possible that my employer made a mistake on my W2?

Thank you for your response!

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Make sure the data that is in TurboTax matches your W-2 correctly, eliminate any other numbers listed, and add any data missing in TurboTax.  

We do not have access to your TurboTax account to determine how or why this data populated your W-2

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies