turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PK2

I have a LLC in GA. I got a 1099-MISC from for consulting work. The address on the form shows CT, but office is in NY. Do I file business state taxes in NY OR CT?

I have an LLC in GA. I got a 1099-MISC form for consulting work that I did. The address on the form shows CT, but office is in NY.  I live in GA, and did the work by telecommute (remote).

Do I have to file business state taxes?

Do I have to file business state taxes in NY OR CT?

Should I ask where the company filed the 1099-MISC to help figure this out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JMark

I have a LLC in GA. I got a 1099-MISC from for consulting work. The address on the form shows CT, but office is in NY. Do I file business state taxes in NY OR CT?

If you performed your job in Georgia exclusively, you do not need to file in NY or CT. If you visited NY or CT for work purposes, you may need to file a nonresident return, reporting the income you earned while you were in those states.

PK2

I visited NY for three days to attend a christmas party.  Else, all work was done remotely.  Do I still need to file a nonresident return?
JMark

If you were working at any point during the trip, that income is sourced to New York.

However, if your New York income is less than the New York standard deduction, no return is required. Here is a table showing the amounts: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/standard_deductions.htm">https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/standard_de...>

Determine New York source income by multiplying your total consulting income by the # of days worked in New York over your total working days.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies