Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived in and earned money in PA. I'm a college student my permanent address is in NY where my parents live. I do pay state tax in PA. Do I need to pay NY taxes also?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

I lived in and earned money in PA. I'm a college student my permanent address is in NY where my parents live. I do pay state tax in PA. Do I need to pay NY taxes also?

If you are only in Pennsylvania to attend school, you are considered a New York resident for tax purposes.  To file your return this year, you will file a non-resident Pennsylvania return to report the Pennsylvania income only.  You will also need to file a New York resident return to report all income, including the PA income.  New York will provide a credit or allowance for the tax already paid to Pennsylvania. (You will not be taxed twice on the same income.)

In the Personal Info section of Turbo Tax, you will select NY as the state you were a resident of on 12/31/15.  Indicate you did NOT live in another state, as time spent away at school is treated as if you were in your resident state.  When you get to the question asking if you earned income in another state, respond Yes and enter PA as that state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TaxesScro

Thanks for the info.  When completing the Free on line filing, should we be asking to do the PA first and then NYS?  Most programs only allow for 1 free State filing.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Prepare the nonresident PA tax return first.  See here.

The resident NY tax return will provide you a credit for the tax you paid to the nonresident PA tax return.

There may be an additional charge for a second state tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TaxesScro

Thanks for the info!  Greatly appreciated!

🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies