L1

If my child is a Colorado resident, but going to school and working in Arizona, are they required to pay Arizona income tax?

TomD8

Nonresidents are subject to Arizona tax on any income earned from Arizona sources.

If your child's income exceeded the AZ filing threshold for non-residents, he/she must file a non-resident AZ tax return.

He/she must also file a CO tax return, since ALL the income of a CO resident is taxable by CO, regardless of its source.  But a credit may be taken on the CO tax return for the taxes paid to the non-resident state, thus eliminating double taxation.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.