Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I worked at a local place (CT) but the W2 lists an AZ address, do I have to file AZ State taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I worked at a local place (CT) but the W2 lists an AZ address, do I have to file AZ State taxes?

If you lived and worked in CT, then you only pay CT tax.   Many employers have corporate offices in other states from which they mail the W-2.   You do not have to pay AZ tax just because they mailed your W-2 from AZ.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

If the AZ address is your employer's address, no, you don't have to file an AZ state income tax return if you are not a resident  of AZ,  

• Remote workers do not have to file nonresident state tax returns unless they physically travel to another state and perform work while they are there. 
  • Generally, you’ll need to file a nonresident state return if you made money from sources in a state you don’t live in.

If you are not a resident of AZ and don't physically work in AZ but your employer withheld AZ state income taxes, you'll have to file a nonresident income tax return to get a refund of the AZ income taxes that were withheld from your pay.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies