turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fayeduck

If I work for a company based in FL . If I work occasionally for this Company in a different state, do I have to pay the other state's 'State' Taxes?

The Company I work for is based in Fl but we go to power plants and such out of state.  I work for the company, and they work as a subcontractor. So why are they taking VA state taxes out of my paycheck when I only work for them maybe 2-4 wks a year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I work for a company based in FL . If I work occasionally for this Company in a different state, do I have to pay the other state's 'State' Taxes?

Any State can legally tax you on income earned there; some are more aggressive than others. File a VA non-resident return, and you may get some of what was withheld back. Don't file, and you'll likely get a letter from VA asking why you didn't ...

Hal_Al
Level 15

You say where your employer is located but not where you live.  I assume that is also FL.

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. The fact that you live in a state without an income tax does not get you out of paying tax to other states. 

For more info, see http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/28/pf/taxes/business-traveler-tax-threat/  

Anonymous
Not applicable

your situation is like that of pro athletes who have to file tax returns in most of the states they play games in + if they don't live in the same state as the team, then they also have to pay taxes to their resident state.  their resident state does allow for credits for the taxes paid to the other states. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies