Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
sonal7777

If I live in NY, but move to PA for two months in the middle of the yr and then back to NY, can I become a PA resident and not pay NY state taxes during those 2 months?

rjs

No. In spite of the two-month absence, you would be considered a New York resident for the entire year because your "domicile" is New York. However, if you work while you are in Pennsylvania you will have to pay Pennsylvania tax on any money that you earn for working there, but you will get a credit on your New York tax return for the tax that you pay to Pennsylvania. The credit will effectively eliminate most of the New York tax on the money you earn for working in Pennsylvania.