If I live in Maine and work in New Hampshire do I ...

courtneyfranny

If I live in Maine and work in New Hampshire do I have to file New Hampshire state taxes as well as my Maine State Taxes?

KatrinaB48

No, you are not required to file a New Hampshire state return. The state of New Hampshire does not have an income tax. New Hampshire residents only file a tax return if their interest and dividend income exceeded $2,400 ($4800 for joint filers) plus additional exemptions for age, blindness, and disability.

Pastasauce

I’m in this situation now. Am I going to end up owing taxes?

Possibly if you did not have Maine withholding or make estimated payments. 

Hal_Al

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. So, there will be little or no double taxation. Do the nonresident state return first.

Since NH does not have an income tax, you do not have a non-resident return to file. But you still have to pay tax on that income to your home state (ME).  If your NH employer did not withhold ME tax, you will  owe it, at tax filing time.

TomD8

If you're a Maine resident, and your employer is not withholding ME taxes from your pay, you should make quarterly estimated tax payments to ME to avoid any penalties.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**