Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work in MD and live in VA, how do I get VA state taxes taken out of my paycheck?

The states have a reciprocity agreement and I filed the MW507 so no MD taxes were taken out and I only have to file in Virginia

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I work in MD and live in VA, how do I get VA state taxes taken out of my paycheck?

Yes, you are correct, Maryland and Virginia have a reciprocity agreement.  This means that even though you work in Maryland, you pay Virginia Income Tax since that is where you live.  You will only need to file a Virginia Tax Return if your Maryland Employer did not withhold MD Taxes.

In order to have VA StateTaxes withheld from your paycheck, you will need to contact the Payroll Department at your job and ask them to withhold VA Taxes.  Be aware that some MD businesses will not want to do this for you because it requires additional paperwork.  In that case, you may need to consider making VA Estimated tax payments during the year.  You can click this link for more information on making VA Estimated tax payments: https://tax.virginia.gov/payments.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct, Maryland and Virginia have a reciprocity agreement.  This means that even though you work in Maryland, you pay Virginia Income Tax since that is where you live.  You will only need to file a Virginia Tax Return if your Maryland Employer did not withhold MD Taxes.

In order to have VA StateTaxes withheld from your paycheck, you will need to contact the Payroll Department at your job and ask them to withhold VA Taxes.  Be aware that some MD businesses will not want to do this for you because it requires additional paperwork.  In that case, you may need to consider making VA Estimated tax payments during the year.  You can click this link for more information on making VA Estimated tax payments: https://tax.virginia.gov/payments.

On my tax return where it asks if I made money in any other state do I say yes or no?
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You should answer "yes".
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies