turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do i need to do to get my missouri renters rebate back

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

50 Replies
JohnR1

Please see TurboTaxThomas' response to the question, "Missouri property tax credit return, how much will I receive?", below:

The Missouri Property Tax Credit allows eligible taxpayers to claim up to $750 if they pay rent or $1,100 if they pay real estate tax on the home they own and occupy.  If you rent from a facility that does not pay property taxes, you are not eligible for a Property Tax Credit.

The amount will be calculated on Line 14 of the Missouri Form MO-PTS (Property Tax Credit Schedule) and then carry to Line 40 of the MO-1040 tax return.  TurboTax will ask you the appropriate questions for this credit in the state interview section, determine your eligibility, and make the calculation for you.

Here is a link to the Missouri Dept of Revenue web page which discusses all aspects of the credit:

http://dor.mo.gov/faq/personal/ptc.php

iampwil

Hello my name is Preston I would like to know if I can get the renter rebate I gets SSDI around 18060 for myself 9072 for my two daughters all the funds are on my claim that I get
KittyD53

I would like to know how do I file for rent Rebate?

@KittyD53 wrote:

I would like to know how do I file for rent Rebate?

What state?

Proudnana123
Returning Member

I'm new to Missouri and just learned about this. I am a 66-year-old disabled veteran My income  $1146.00 a month.  I pay $383  my portion of HUD assistance.

TomK100
Expert Alumni

If you are required to file a Missouri Individual Income Tax Return, you must use Form MO-1040 or Form MO-1040P with a Property Tax Schedule (MO-PTS) attached.

If you are not required to file a Missouri Individual Income Tax Return, then you may file the Missouri Property Tax Credit Claim (MO-PTC).

If you are unsure which form best meets your filing needs, use our Personal Tax Form Selector (this is an easier way to choose the appropriate form for your situation).

For more information about Property Tax Credit, please visit the Missouri Department of Revenue FAQs website.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TJ46

I would like to know how to apply online for the renters rebate? Your response would be appreciated. This would be for the state of Missouri

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To claim your Missouri circuit breaker property tax credit, please do the following.

1) log into Turbo Tax>take me to my return>select state in the left navigational pane in your return,

2) As you go through the questions, there will be a section that says Property Tax Credit.

3) When it asks if you want to complete the property tax form say yes.

4) next screen, select this option filing a tax return and will claim the property tax credit on my tax return. (We cover Form PTS later.)

5) later on in the state interview, it will address information for filing out the MO-PTS form.

Please review the eligibility requirements for claiming this credit in this Missouri State link.

Treal

What do I need to do to get 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you need to file a state tax return, the credit is taken there. This may be done using TurboTax. 

If you are not required to file a state tax return, you can apply just for the credit. (This would be done by filling out and mailing Form MO-PTC and Tax or Rent payment requirements.) This is not done through TurboTax. 

Please click the link below and watch the video for more information about this credit. 

MO tax credit

IF you ONLY have an SSA-1099 form and are not required to file a federal return, you may not have to file a federal and state return in order to file for the Missouri Property Tax Credit.  See below.

This is a question received for Missouri state residents; see state link for details and filing forms.

https://dor.mo.gov/personal/ptc/documents/proptax.pdf

The Missouri Property Tax Credit Claim is a program that allows certain senior citizens and 100 percent disabled individuals to apply for a credit based on the real estate taxes or rent they have paid for the year. The credit is for a maximum of $750.00 for renters and $1,100.00 for owners. The actual credit is based on amount paid and total
household income, taxable and nontaxable.

If you need to file an income tax return, Form MO-1040 or Form MO-1040P, you must use Form MO-PTS to claim a property tax credit and attach it to the Form MO-1040 or Form MO-1040P.
Do not use Form MO-PTC if you are required to file an income tax return.

MO state credit requirement(s):

• Single status renters with income under $27,500 (married filing jointly $29,500).
  • Single status owner-occupied home with income under $30,000 (married filing jointly $34,000).
  • Property tax paid by owner of rental location or owner-occupied home; no illegal aliens employed

AND

• BOX A - Age 65 or older, at December 31, 2019 and a Missouri State resident the entire calendar year  OR
  • BOX B - 100% disabled as a result of military service 
  • OR
  • BOX C - 100% disabled 
  • OR
  • BOX D - Age 60 or older at December 31, 2019 and receiving surviving spouse social security benefits.

TurboTax MO-5674 PTC - property tax credit instructions for Missouri state, eligible taxpayer:

Follow the TurboTax interview series of questions for the property tax credit.  Enter all of your income in your “My Info” section.  This includes your Social Security Number, Birth Date and, if retired due to disability, enter “retired 100% disability” or whatever your actual federal status is according to your tax forms.

In the Federal section, if your only income is an SSA-1099, you should continue with the interview series of question until you reach the question, “Yes, let’s work on social security benefits, or you can go to the search box and type in “SSA-1099” and then click on the “jump to” link to enter the income that you received.  Make sure all of the boxes entered in your document match what is entered into your TurboTax software (numbers and boxes checked)!

MO-PTS screenshot 1.png

Total Net Benefits (Box 5, below) is Box 3 less Box 4 on your SSA-1099 form.

When you see “Learn More” in TurboTax, click on the letters for further details!

MO-PTS screenshot 2.png

Continue to answer the TurboTax interview series of questions, until you “Wrap Up Income” and complete your Federal Return. Once you complete the TurboTax interview series of questions (you entered your Missouri address in the “My Info” section, before Federal and State) where you lived for the full year, you will be automatically led to your state return.

MO-PTS screenshot 3.png

Your 2019 Missouri Return > Did you file a Missouri State Return?

Yes – verify your address before property tax credit screen – Answer “Yes” if you are eligible

No – this is the next screen – Answer “Yes” if you are eligible – see screen queries, below:

MO-PTS screenshot 4.png

Continue to Property Tax Credit Options, screen, and select whether you are filing a state tax return or just claiming the property tax credit.

MO-PTS screenshot 5.png

See below, for the MO state browser to identify whether you are required to file a state return in order to obtain the credit.  Here is an excerpt, of the Missouri state frequently asked questions.

MO-PTS screenshot 6.png

Continue to answer the questions, based on your circumstance, on each of the following TurboTax screens, and based on your eligibility, TurboTax will generate the relevant forms for you to file /e-file:

• Property Tax Credit
  • Additional Information Needed
  • Household Income
  • Rental Certification Summary
    • Rental Address
    • Type of Rental Property
    • Rental Information (this should match your Form 5674, signed by your landlord)
    • Landlord Information (this should match your Form 5674, signed by your landlord)
    • Related to Landlord
    • Another Rental

If you elected not to file a Missouri state return, your credit will not show up in the MO REFUND at the top of the page, as you are not filing a state return.  You will print and mail the PTC form.

If you elected to file a Missouri state return, you will go through a few more screens before you get to the screens, below:

• Do you have any of these items, Taxed by Missouri (i.e. NOL, K-1, business deductions, other MO additions)?
  • Paid for Long-Term Care Insurance?
  • Did you Donate to a Health Care Sharing Facility?
  • Bring Jobs Home?
  • Transportation Facilities Deduction?
  • First Time HomeBuyer Savings Account?
  • Do you have any of these items, Not Taxed by Missouri (see list)?
  • Savings for Tuition Programs
  • Qualified ABLE?
  • Agriculture Disaster Relief?
  • Taxes Paid to Another State?

MO-PTS screenshot 7.png

You can elect to have your credit direct-deposited into your account, or you can print and mail the form to have a check mailed to you.

Debreanne

State of Missouri

AmyC
Expert Alumni

We would love to help! Please reply here with the problem you are having so we can respond. 

You are welcome to use Turbo Tax chat.or you can fill this form out for someone to call you.

@Debreanne

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies