Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hark89
Returning Member

I received an annual incentive plan payout in 2023 based on work done in 2022. Is that income for the state I worked/lived in 2022 or the state I worked/lived in 2023?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I received an annual incentive plan payout in 2023 based on work done in 2022. Is that income for the state I worked/lived in 2022 or the state I worked/lived in 2023?

The incentive plan payout you received in 2023 is typically considered income for the state in which you worked or lived during the year 2023. The timing of the payout determines the tax year to which it belongs.

TomD8
Level 15

It may be taxable by both.  A work-related payment is typically taxable by the state where the work was performed.  If you received the payment after becoming a resident of a second state, it would typically also be taxed there - on the principle that your State of Residence can tax all your income.

In those situations you'd normally be able to claim a credit on your current resident state's return for the tax paid to the non-resident state, so as to avoid double taxation.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies