Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ademaree

I paid non-resident real property income tax on New York form IT 2663. Where do I report that on NY form 203 and federal form 1040?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Cindy0H

I paid non-resident real property income tax on New York form IT 2663. Where do I report that on NY form 203 and federal form 1040?

Fisrt you need to enter it in the federal interview. Here's how for personal property taxes:

• Deductions & Credits
  • Cars and Other Things you own
  • Personal Property Taxes...start

If you are referring to Property Taxes, this is how to enter that:

• Deductions & Credits
  • Your Home
  • Propert Taxes...enter under additional homes or land

All of this will flow to the New York return and become a part of itemized deductions. It will appear on the IT-196 (line 6 or 7) which will flow to the IT-203 (line 33). New York does not have the $10,000 limit on state taxes paid.

If you have other questions about this, ask in the comment section below.

1. I am claiming standard deductions on my Federal return, (2) My father sold his house in New York in 2021. I live in NJ and I did not own the property. I only received a small sum from my father, but the attorney said I had to pay tax on that amount. So I paid the tax on IT2663. How do I claim the tax I paid now? 

TomD8
Level 15

NY Form IT-2663 is to be filed by a non-resident seller of real property.  Since you were not the property owner, you cannot be the seller.  Why did the attorney have you file that form?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you "Champ" TomD8 for your reply. 

The house my father sold was under the name of a trust he established years ago, and I am the trustee. After the house was sold in March 2021, he gave me some money from the sale of the house. I live in NJ and the house was in NY. The attorney said I had to pay tax on the money I received from my father. So, I paid.

When I search IT-2663 under Cars and Other Things You Own, it says, in order to claim the tax you paid, you MUST itemize your deductions on your return, but I was claiming standard deductions on my return. I thought I couldn't claim the tax I paid and I just e-filed my federal return an hour ago. I have not filed my NYS return as yet. 

1)  Can I amend my federal return later? (2) Can I still claim the tax I paid on my NYS tax return? This time I will wait for the reply first. 

I also reply to your email. Thank you.

Thank you TomD8. I posted my comments regarding to your reply. Please check. Thank you. 

TomD8
Level 15

You must enter state estimated taxes paid in the federal section of TurboTax.  The information will then flow to your state return.

Here is the TurboTax help topic on amending a return:

How do I amend my 2021 return? (intuit.com)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies