Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved to Utah in Feb 2021, so should I keep my California state for the 2020 tax returns?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I moved to Utah in Feb 2021, so should I keep my California state for the 2020 tax returns?

Did you live/work in CA in 2020?    If so then you prepare and file a 2020 CA return.   Moving in 2021 has no effect on the tax return you file for 2020.   But do make sure you use your current address on your tax return so that you will receive mail from the IRS and the state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

In the Personal Info section of TT, your "State of Residence" is the state in which you resided on December 31st of that tax year.

Your mailing address is your current mailing address.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

And you may need to file in both states for the 2021 tax year (filed in early 2022).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies