turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved to Utah at the end of December 2016. Do I have to file a Utah tax return despite not earning any income in the state of Utah in the last 2 weeks of the year?

I lost my job in Maryland and had to move to Utah at the end of December 2016. I have not earned any money in Utah since moving to the state on 12/17/2016. Do I really need to file a Utah State tax return despite not having earned any income there?

Also, I am receiving MD unemployment benefits, can I deduct my moving expenses from MD to UT?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I moved to Utah at the end of December 2016. Do I have to file a Utah tax return despite not earning any income in the state of Utah in the last 2 weeks of the year?

If you were considered a part-year resident of UT, you may have to file.  See this for more guidance.

You can deduct moving expenses if it was for a job.  Turbo Tax will walk you through to determine whether you can or not.

Go to Deductions & Credits>Other Deductions & Credits>Moving Expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you were considered a part-year resident of UT, you may have to file.  See this for more guidance.

You can deduct moving expenses if it was for a job.  Turbo Tax will walk you through to determine whether you can or not.

Go to Deductions & Credits>Other Deductions & Credits>Moving Expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies